Our dealership takes your privacy seriously and is committed to safeguarding your personal information. We have developed this privacy statement to help you understand how we collect, use, disclose and safeguard the personal information of our customers, potential customers, and website users. This statement discloses the types of information we gather, how it is used, how it is disclosed, and how you can gain access to and edit any information that we’ve collected about you at any time.
We and Subaru Canada, Inc. (“SCI
”), the distributor of Subaru brand vehicles in Canada, necessarily share your information with each other in order to provide you with Subaru vehicles, products and services and to ensure your entire Subaru experience, from start to finish, is seamless.
If you access or use SCI’s website, www.subaru.ca
We may modify this Statement from time to time and will notify you by posting the revised Statement on this website with a new effective date.
How we collect personal information
We primarily collect personal information directly from you. For example, when you acquire a Subaru vehicle or other Subaru products and services, subscribe to our email services, or participate in other features of this website. We limit the amount and type of personal information we collect to what we need.
Our dealership maintains a strict “no-spam” policy. Subscribers to our e-mail services (or any other feature/service found on our website) will not receive unsolicited e-mail messages from us. Our dealership collects information online primarily to provide our visitors with a more relevant experience on our website.
the types of personal information we collect
The information we collect directly from you may include:
- [Add bullet point list of types of personal information that you collect in the course of your regular business activities]
- Non-Personally Identifiable Data: Anytime you visit our website, we may gather certain non-personally identifiable information regarding the means you use to access our site. This information may include the type and version of your browser, your service provider, your IP address and any search engine you may have used to locate the site. We use this information to help diagnose problems with our server, administer the website, and compile broad statistical data. In addition, we gather certain navigational information about where you go on our website. This information enables us to determine which areas of the website are most frequently visited and helps us to tailor the sites to the needs and interests of our online visitors. Such information is gathered by us in the aggregate and will not be associated with a specific individual without that individual’s consent.
how we use personal information:
Our dealership may use personal information as follows:
[Amend existing bullet points or add additional bullet points to include any other ways in which you use personal information in the course of your regular business activities]
[For Quebec dealers – insert description of categories of persons within dealership who will have access to Personal Information]
- Any information you provide to us (i.e. name, e-mail address, etc.) when you enroll in one of our E-Mail Reminder Services, request information, or use any of the other interactive portions of our website, may be used to provide you with information you’ve requested about our company, our products and our services, or to provide you with special notices. You may opt out of receiving future communications at any time (see opt-out Procedures below). This data may also be used to tailor your experience on our sites by providing content that is relevant to your interests and geographic region.
- As required or permitted by applicable law.
DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION:
Our dealership understands the importance of your privacy. We do not sell, rent, or trade consumer information to third parties, other than as described below, and never without your consent. At the time you register for any service on our website, you will be notified of, and asked to consent to, the sharing of your information with any particular third party necessary to the provision of the requested service.
We may share or disclose your personal information as follows:
[Amend the following bullet point list or add additional bullet points for organizations with whom you share personal information in the course of your regular business activities]
- BUSINESS PARTNERS: Our dealership may partner with select retailers and other companies at various times to provide expanded services to you. As part of such a relationship, we may share information with these companies such as the use of certain interactive website functions (i.e. the E-Mail Reminder Service). Information provided by site visitors through the use of such interactive functions may be available to both our dealership and our partners.
- SERVICE PROVIDERS / AGENTS: Our dealership may use other companies and individuals to perform certain functions on our behalf. Examples include administering e-mail services and running special promotions. Such parties only have access to the personal information needed to perform these functions and may not use or store the information for any other purpose. Subscribers or site visitors will never receive unsolicited e-mail messages from agents working on our behalf.
- BUSINESS TRANSFERS: In the event that our dealership sells or transfers a particular portion of its business assets, consumer information may be one of the business assets transferred as part of the transaction. If substantially all of the assets of our dealership are acquired, consumer information may be transferred as part of the acquisition.
- COMPLIANCE WITH LAW / SAFETY: Our dealership may disclose specific personal information based on a good faith belief that such disclosure is necessary to comply with or conform to the law or that such disclosure is necessary to protect the users of our website, the site itself, or the public.
- WITH CONSENT: Other than as set forth in this Privacy Statement, you will be notified when any personally-identifiable information about you may be shared with third parties, and you will be given the opportunity to decline to share that information.
and for Facebook at: Cookies Policy (facebook.com)
Should you configure your browser to decline their use, certain features of our website may not function correctly, and you may be required to renter any user IDs and passwords more frequently.
how we safeguard your personal information:
Our dealership will take reasonable physical, electronic and managerial measures to safeguard and secure any information you provide to us (e.g. data will be stored in protected databases on secured servers with restricted access).
Any information you provide to us (i.e. name, e-mail address, etc.) when you enroll in one of our E-Mail Reminder Services, request information, or use any of the other interactive portions of our website, is securely maintained on our Web server and internal systems.
where we store / transfer your personal information:
Our dealership stores your personal information in [Canada]. Our dealership may also transfer your personal information for processing or storage to countries outside of Canada including [insert list of jurisdictions]. We use contractual or other means to ensure the information is protected while in the foreign country however, your personal information may be still accessible to law enforcement agencies, government agencies, courts, and national security authorities of the foreign country.
retaining your personal information:
Our dealership retains your personal information for so long as necessary to fulfill the purposes we collected it for except as required by applicable law.
We will make reasonable efforts to ensure that the information we have about you is accurate, complete and up-to-date as necessary for our uses, including information that we disclose to third parties, and information that we use to make a decision about you.
accessing & correcting your personal information:
You have the right to request access to the information our dealership has about you and to request supporting information explaining how the personal information is used and disclosed. You also have the right to request that we correct inaccurate personal information about you. To do so, please contact us as set out below.
You have the right to challenge our dealership’s compliance with applicable privacy laws and we will investigate all written complaints. To do so, please contact us as set out below.
The personal data record created through your registration with our website can only be accessed with the unique password associated with that record. To protect the integrity of the information contained in this record, you should not disclose or otherwise reveal your password to third parties.
Our website may make chat rooms, forums, message boards, and/or news groups available to its users at various times. Please remember that, unless otherwise stated, any information that is disclosed in these areas becomes public information and you should exercise caution when deciding to disclose your personal information in these areas.
You may always opt-out of receiving future communications from our dealership. Our sites allow users to opt-out of receiving such communications at the point where personal information is requested, or through other means as identified.
If you have questions concerning this Privacy Statement including about our use of service providers outside of Canada or the practices of this website, you may contact us at:
[insert phone number]
[insert email address]
Attention: Privacy Officer